In 2012, a song with the same name leaked online, along with several unreleased songs. When Kerli announced the track listing for Shadow Works, it was thought that track number 5, One, would be a reworked version of the old demo. However, when snippets for the whole album surfaced on the internet, this rumour was proven to be fake, as it was a completely different song.
Written by Kerli, Ago Teppand (who co-wrote Blossom) and Afshin Salmani, aka AFSHeeN (Legends, Blue Skies Ahead), the song runs at a moderately fast tempo of 128 beats per minute. One features an acoustic guitar arrangement, played along a soft electronic beat and atmospheric sounds.
One is a deeply autobiographic song. In an interview with online magazine "The Nocturnal Times", Kerli stated that she wrote the song "just before going into the nature for the first time, after living in Los Angeles for 10 years". She also added:
Little did I know I would spend 7 months living in the woods in solitude that time because I was so exhausted. This song is about going home, back to the simple things and the people that love you. It’s about realizing that no thing in the world or no achievement actually makes anyone happy. Happiness comes from connection – with yourself, with your God and with your tribe.
Potential single release Edit
Days prior to the release of Shadow Works, Kerli confirmed through an Instagram comment that a fourth single (after Savages, Better and Legends) would be released to further promote the album. The date of release would be the same as the album, February 22. However, when the album was released, no song was confirmed to be chosen as the new single.
On February 25, 2019, the audio of One was uploaded to YouTube channel MrSuicideSheep, hinting its potential release as the fourth single off Shadow Works. However, the selection of One as an official single has not been formalized, and it just remains as a rumour, until official confirmation.
On March 11, Kerli posted on Instagram that both One and Mimicry had been uploaded by MrSuicideSheep on YouTube. With Kerli's intention of releasing a fourth single off Shadow Works right after the album's release, it is possible that either Mimicry or One can be chosen as singles, or at least, both songs can be considered promotional singles.
Credits and personnelEdit
Credits are adapted from website Beatport Top Tracker.
- Afshin "AFSHeeN" Salmani – composer, producer, programming, engineering, piano, guitar
- Ago "Jéja" Teppand – composer, producer, programming, engineering, piano, guitar
- Brian Malouf – mixing, mastering
- Cyrus Saidi – executive producer
- Kerli Kõiv – composer, vocal producer, lead vocals, background vocals, recording, programming, piano, guitar
- ↑ The Nocturnal Times: Estonian Artist KERLI Shares Insight On Newest Album ‘Shadow Works’ & More [Interview]. Maria Marcano. March 24, 2019. Retrieved on June 12, 2019.
- ↑ YouTube: Kerli - One. MrSucideSheep. February 25, 2019. Retrieved on August 25, 2019.
- ↑ Instagram: "One + Mimicry are now up...". kerlimusic. March 11, 2019. Retrieved on August 25, 2019.
- ↑ Beatport Top Tracker: Shadow Works [Seeking Blue]. Retrieved on August 25, 2019.